
matticus008
Nov 21, 07:58 PM
This works in just the opposite: In the cold air, there's a huge differential, so the fan is going full bore, annoying me and all my peace-and-quiet-loving neighbors. In the warm air, it slows to a crawl as the amount of electricity generated approaches the lower limit of sustaining power for the fan. Then it stops. Then my laptop heats up rapidly and the processor dies.
This isn't a replacement for fans to control temperature--it's simply an attempt to put 'waste' heat to use. Obviously the normal array of heatsinks and fans would still exist to manage the temperatures. There's no conceivable implementation in which your computer would be harmed by the application of this additional device. The fan would hardly be necessary in the cold air, given that the temperature gradient would already be optimized.
So, we haven't been able to simplify the problem at all, and instead are gaining the (very slight) power savings from not having to run this fan off our battery power (directly) in a mid-temp room.
Well, it's not that outrageous. If it adds minimal cost and extends battery life 10% (not unreasonable with some refinement), that could easily equate to 15 minutes with current batteries. The cooling system itself is not affected, and obviously the benefit is greatest with a heavy CPU load, which in turn would maximize its impact on intensive operations which shorten battery life. In other words, this could partially offset the battery time lost by intensive computing, making it a worthwhile investment for professionals on the move.
This isn't a replacement for fans to control temperature--it's simply an attempt to put 'waste' heat to use. Obviously the normal array of heatsinks and fans would still exist to manage the temperatures. There's no conceivable implementation in which your computer would be harmed by the application of this additional device. The fan would hardly be necessary in the cold air, given that the temperature gradient would already be optimized.
So, we haven't been able to simplify the problem at all, and instead are gaining the (very slight) power savings from not having to run this fan off our battery power (directly) in a mid-temp room.
Well, it's not that outrageous. If it adds minimal cost and extends battery life 10% (not unreasonable with some refinement), that could easily equate to 15 minutes with current batteries. The cooling system itself is not affected, and obviously the benefit is greatest with a heavy CPU load, which in turn would maximize its impact on intensive operations which shorten battery life. In other words, this could partially offset the battery time lost by intensive computing, making it a worthwhile investment for professionals on the move.
Dreadnought
Oct 3, 03:43 PM
Boehoe... Too bad redeye. Thanks for all the good and hard work. Now, don't install folding at all those little Apples in the store (BTW which store is it?!?!) or I will have to find a way to get more compu's folding for me. Hope you will stay an active member here.
s.hasan546
Apr 9, 03:53 PM
Trafficking is a felony any way you look at it. So the 130,000 will pass on to his attorney's hands. In the end they all get caught.
it's not trafficking. Its importing merchandise that you legally purchase from a foreign company. There MIGHT be patent infringement; etc. But you can read my above comment on how easily that could be dealt with. Attorney fees would not be $130k. you guys are dreaming. And notice there were no lawsuits filed. Just a "PI"
it's not trafficking. Its importing merchandise that you legally purchase from a foreign company. There MIGHT be patent infringement; etc. But you can read my above comment on how easily that could be dealt with. Attorney fees would not be $130k. you guys are dreaming. And notice there were no lawsuits filed. Just a "PI"
kevinkt
Mar 26, 11:19 PM
Play nice boys LOL
more...
leekohler
May 3, 11:55 AM
Just also saw that the conservatives have tried just recently to get equal marriage rights outlawed and oppose abortion. Well, sorry- they aren't that different from our conservatives. They sound almost as bad on that front. They will try to outlaw equal marriage rights again, trust me.
Hang onto your hats, Canada, you're in for a very bumpy ride.
Hang onto your hats, Canada, you're in for a very bumpy ride.
dashiel
Mar 23, 01:33 PM
I'm fairly certain AirPlay is actually a standard that Apple has licensed from another company which is why there were already a few receivers on the market that supported or could be updated to support AirPlay.
// edit never mind. Misremembered an article where a company had already gained access to AirPlay streaming protocols.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/09/apple_working_together_with_bridgeco_to_launch_airplay.html
// edit never mind. Misremembered an article where a company had already gained access to AirPlay streaming protocols.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/09/09/apple_working_together_with_bridgeco_to_launch_airplay.html
more...
rickdollar
Jun 18, 01:48 PM
Can the Mac mini boot from one of these cards? That would be insanely great.
I know the MBP's can boot from the SD card.
I know the MBP's can boot from the SD card.

sparks9
Sep 25, 02:31 PM
So does that mean no new macbooks?
more...

Primejimbo
Jan 7, 10:25 AM
I thought I would like the push for this, but I actually find it annoying. I have updates sent to me via text messaging and I think I like that better. At least I can turn it off if I don't like it which is nice.
cadillac1234
Feb 18, 10:33 AM
From that picture I can correctly diagnosis that Larry Ellison would probably be a jerk
more...

madmax_2069
Oct 9, 04:40 PM
i don't know why wally world and target are complaining, this will not hurt DVD sales. like what was said. there are allot of people that cant afford new Mac's to play there movies (my problem). or live outside of the city and don't have a high speed connection (cause they are to far out) or just cant afford satellite internet. i like to have the original copy (in dvd format) i know allot of other people that also like to have a dvd of the movie.
boy are they stupid (wall-marts and target) in not seeing this.
boy are they stupid (wall-marts and target) in not seeing this.
kingdonk
Feb 28, 07:17 PM
Xgrid and Xsan
more...
TN-3
Jul 10, 11:01 PM
Wow, I was going to go by after my meeting at work (approx. noon)...I hope there will be some left. I guess I will stop by the Apple store in Green Hills first, if they are out, then it is off to the Cool Springs store.
GimmeSlack12
May 2, 03:49 PM
Why not just set Chrome's tab settings to open all links in a new tab? Or get an add-on if that setting isn't in Chrome by default?
more...
Rodimus Prime
Apr 4, 01:40 PM
mcrain should post his stuff on how raising taxes increase economy.
I would post it myself but I deleted the PM a last week by mistake when I was cleaning out my inbox.
I will say it was a great read and I agree with it.
We do need to raises taxes as right now they are at record lows and clearly THEY ARE NOT WORKING. Instead due to the record lows things are getting worse and more things are having to be cut. On top of that most of these stats were warned years prior that if they cut those taxes that in a few years it will come back to hurt them big time. This was made worse by economic downturn and so budget shortfalls were even worse than what was projected.
All service cut do is hurt 90% of the people for the top 5% of the income earns that they help.
If you look at most of the tax cuts they are only for the top earners. Main street gets nothing but services cut. Tax cuts never effect them. GOP screams Tax cuts tax cuts but then you look at it the cuts do not help most of us. Instead they only hurt us.
Also a kicker. the more you make the less each dollar saved helps. Tax cut at the top means money lost in revenue for the goverement but you MIGHT see 5-10% of that saved money go back into the economy. Most of it goes no were.
Compared to tax cuts or service increase on the middle class and down you will see most of that money go back into the economy.
Tell me if you want to boost the economy were do you put the injection. At the top were you might get 10% of it back or at the bottom were you will see nearly 100% of it back.
GOP wants you to believe that it is at the top. Reality is that it should go at the bottom.
I would post it myself but I deleted the PM a last week by mistake when I was cleaning out my inbox.
I will say it was a great read and I agree with it.
We do need to raises taxes as right now they are at record lows and clearly THEY ARE NOT WORKING. Instead due to the record lows things are getting worse and more things are having to be cut. On top of that most of these stats were warned years prior that if they cut those taxes that in a few years it will come back to hurt them big time. This was made worse by economic downturn and so budget shortfalls were even worse than what was projected.
All service cut do is hurt 90% of the people for the top 5% of the income earns that they help.
If you look at most of the tax cuts they are only for the top earners. Main street gets nothing but services cut. Tax cuts never effect them. GOP screams Tax cuts tax cuts but then you look at it the cuts do not help most of us. Instead they only hurt us.
Also a kicker. the more you make the less each dollar saved helps. Tax cut at the top means money lost in revenue for the goverement but you MIGHT see 5-10% of that saved money go back into the economy. Most of it goes no were.
Compared to tax cuts or service increase on the middle class and down you will see most of that money go back into the economy.
Tell me if you want to boost the economy were do you put the injection. At the top were you might get 10% of it back or at the bottom were you will see nearly 100% of it back.
GOP wants you to believe that it is at the top. Reality is that it should go at the bottom.
dricci
Sep 20, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ColdZero
Oh yea, nice and fast :rolleyes:. A Dual 1.25Ghz G4 vs a single 2.8ghz P4, uhhh isn't that a little unfair. Where is the dual 2.4ghz P4 vs dual 1.25ghz G4 comparison?
P4s can't go Dual. It's sorta like the G3, it's just not designed to do that. It wouldn't work.
Oh yea, nice and fast :rolleyes:. A Dual 1.25Ghz G4 vs a single 2.8ghz P4, uhhh isn't that a little unfair. Where is the dual 2.4ghz P4 vs dual 1.25ghz G4 comparison?
P4s can't go Dual. It's sorta like the G3, it's just not designed to do that. It wouldn't work.
more...
Knowimagination
Mar 11, 10:01 AM
Nearing 30 at University.
Wow I may have to head out there sooner than expected
Wow I may have to head out there sooner than expected

CorvusCamenarum
Apr 12, 06:06 PM
That's completely different. Intelligence is not fully genetic. You can become intelligent by obtaining an education.
Not so much. Intelligence is like a measuring cup. You can fill it up all you want, but you're not going to be able to pour a gallon of knowledge into a shot glass of a brain and have nothing spill.
Back on topic - we already have legal racism, but we call it Affirmative Action. Hiring one of two qualified candidates simply because he's black, brown, or yellow and there's a quota to fill is just as bad as hiring the white guy just because he's white.
Not so much. Intelligence is like a measuring cup. You can fill it up all you want, but you're not going to be able to pour a gallon of knowledge into a shot glass of a brain and have nothing spill.
Back on topic - we already have legal racism, but we call it Affirmative Action. Hiring one of two qualified candidates simply because he's black, brown, or yellow and there's a quota to fill is just as bad as hiring the white guy just because he's white.

oliversl
Mar 28, 09:04 AM
ok, that confirm no iOS5 in June. The iPhone 5 is re-scheduled for september? Could it be?
GulGnu
Jun 11, 03:17 PM
Well, I formally switched today (my iBook arrived) - and I must say I am very impressed with the Mac. It feels like a quality build, and OS X feels better overall than Windows XP. (I think XP is a pretty good OS btw)
I went with the iBook because it was a pretty good value notebook, especially after recent price drops here in Europe. I don't think I qualify as a Mac zealot quite yet though... We'll see how the 'book holds up in a few weeks =P
/GulGnu
-Stabil som fan!
I went with the iBook because it was a pretty good value notebook, especially after recent price drops here in Europe. I don't think I qualify as a Mac zealot quite yet though... We'll see how the 'book holds up in a few weeks =P
/GulGnu
-Stabil som fan!
satcomer
Apr 8, 10:37 PM
The price at Sonco(US) today:
tjcampbell
Apr 19, 09:48 AM
Looks great. I'm a fan of the expose on there.
rdowns
Mar 16, 09:12 AM
Maybe if people who buy cars only for the name and because it was (or is perceived) to be built in America would have stopped this insanity 30 years ago, we'd have American car companies more able to compete today.
There it is folks. The American consumer is at fault for the problems of the US auto industry.
There it is folks. The American consumer is at fault for the problems of the US auto industry.
Spanky Deluxe
Oct 26, 10:29 AM
How long is the line?
10? 20? 50?
Well, I'm not very good at guessing numbers but it goes all the way around the corner now. :) We had one rather arsey guy who tried to queue jump to the front of the queue but the security swiftly dealed with him at which point he screamed that we were all sad loser geeks. :rolleyes:
10? 20? 50?
Well, I'm not very good at guessing numbers but it goes all the way around the corner now. :) We had one rather arsey guy who tried to queue jump to the front of the queue but the security swiftly dealed with him at which point he screamed that we were all sad loser geeks. :rolleyes:
No comments:
Post a Comment