hulugu
Apr 5, 12:28 AM
Thing about the Laffer curve is that there was/is no research or data to back it up. Arthur Laffer pulled it out of a dark place and scribbled it down on a cocktail napkin. Its actual shape may have no actual correlation to the smooth bell we always see, it is all fiction because no one has tried to demonstrate its validity or accuracy.
I won't disagree with you.
I believe I have seen it suggested somewhere that raising taxes puts pressure on business, which may have the effect of stimulating growth by forcing the businesses to make up the lost revenue (ramping up).
Interesting and just as sensible.
What effect government policy has on the economy is not clear because the economy is made up of a mass of Brownian particles that move in unpredictable and befuddling ways....
And, I think this is the money quote; nice use of physics term.
I won't disagree with you.
I believe I have seen it suggested somewhere that raising taxes puts pressure on business, which may have the effect of stimulating growth by forcing the businesses to make up the lost revenue (ramping up).
Interesting and just as sensible.
What effect government policy has on the economy is not clear because the economy is made up of a mass of Brownian particles that move in unpredictable and befuddling ways....
And, I think this is the money quote; nice use of physics term.
rozwell
Nov 21, 08:26 PM
here are two:
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/xml_dropdown_menu.htm
and
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/dropdownmenu.htm
you will get more help and more tutorials on a flash specific board... check out kirupa's forums and also http://studiowhiz.com 's forums. both are pretty great. also, flash has the best built in help system of any application i have ever experienced, so you may not even have to hit the boards or external tutorials.
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/actionscript/xml_dropdown_menu.htm
and
http://www.kirupa.com/developer/mx/dropdownmenu.htm
you will get more help and more tutorials on a flash specific board... check out kirupa's forums and also http://studiowhiz.com 's forums. both are pretty great. also, flash has the best built in help system of any application i have ever experienced, so you may not even have to hit the boards or external tutorials.

dejo
Apr 6, 06:20 PM
Selling outside the Marketplace
All threads offering items for sale or trade, asking to buy items, or asking for pricing advice on items to be sold must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.
from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems

cute-anime-boy-__-anime-guys-
more...

Pics Of Cute Anime Guys. what

and Best Anime (Girly)Guy
more...

anime guys hair. were just the

Cute Kids Myspace Layout
more...

cute anime lovers.

so cute. anime-lover211 posted
more...

cute anime girl so they

(Cute Anime Pics)
more...

Images and Photos middot; Cute!

If you mean cute as in Teddy
more...

cute pink anime

cute anime guys.
more...

cute anime guys with brown

anime-lover211 posted 4 months

cute anime guy
All threads offering items for sale or trade, asking to buy items, or asking for pricing advice on items to be sold must be posted in the Marketplace forum, which is accessible only to qualified members and subject to additional rules; see the Marketplace Rules for details. Members not eligible for the Marketplace forum may not start threads elsewhere for such purposes.
from http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules#Minor_Problems
MattSepeta
Apr 12, 02:21 PM
By the end of this year I will have paid the final payment on my loans... I can't believe it's been 15 years! Worst investment I ever made.
Seriously, one of the most eye-opening things when I entered college was learning that I did *not* possess a liberal, open-minded view of race relations. I grew up in a white neighborhood, with nice liberal white teachers, always telling us how we are all equal. I always admired Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speeches when I heard them.
I thought that was the prevailing view until I got to college. I was so naive I wanted to run up to the first black guy I saw, give him a hug, and tell him I understand. Ha, not really, but you know what I mean. Guilty white liberal kid. I was stunned by the violent reaction I got before I'd ever opened my mouth.
Wow. The whole thing was just turned on its head. Nobody talked about true equality as a goal - it was all about power, grievance, reparations... and everything I learned just sounded shockingly racist. I was told that was just how whites see things. Rookie mistake!
After I had to write a paper on "Myth America- How The American Dream has been and always will be a Myth" I conveniently forgot to sign up for the next semester's classes.
Seriously, one of the most eye-opening things when I entered college was learning that I did *not* possess a liberal, open-minded view of race relations. I grew up in a white neighborhood, with nice liberal white teachers, always telling us how we are all equal. I always admired Martin Luther King, Jr.'s speeches when I heard them.
I thought that was the prevailing view until I got to college. I was so naive I wanted to run up to the first black guy I saw, give him a hug, and tell him I understand. Ha, not really, but you know what I mean. Guilty white liberal kid. I was stunned by the violent reaction I got before I'd ever opened my mouth.
Wow. The whole thing was just turned on its head. Nobody talked about true equality as a goal - it was all about power, grievance, reparations... and everything I learned just sounded shockingly racist. I was told that was just how whites see things. Rookie mistake!
After I had to write a paper on "Myth America- How The American Dream has been and always will be a Myth" I conveniently forgot to sign up for the next semester's classes.
more...
Abulia
Sep 20, 06:03 PM
About 10 people have replied and corrected bigandy on his faux pas. I think we can let it go now, okay folks? :)
solientblack
May 1, 04:42 PM
I found it after scouring pages of Google returns.
Dungeon Raid is the name.. pretty fun, I'd recommend it.
Dungeon Raid is the name.. pretty fun, I'd recommend it.
more...

homerjward
Sep 14, 04:52 PM
i had it once, this summer, and i was *really* scared, when they first put an IV drip in my arm (they had to look forever to find a vein :eek:) but after they put the relaxant/whatever in the drip i was fine :p then they wheeled me into the operating room, put a mask on me and i was out before the anaesthesiologist (sp?) was done talking to me. the worst part was waking up in a lot of pain, so they gave me morphine, which made me nauseous, which was actually worse than the pain because try as i might i couldn't throw up...but good luck! i'm sure everything will go great for you, iGary!
SteveSparks
Mar 26, 06:43 PM
Ya. Page 1..
This is a good rumor thread....
This is a good rumor thread....
more...
notjustjay
Jan 5, 12:54 PM
I don't get what's the problem with Garmin's view. Garmin decided to go live and have upto date maps and traffic alert. I can imagine they also have some sort of cash so you only have to d/l the map once and then it lives in your iphone. It also has an amazingly small footprint - weighs in at only 8mb and this is another cool feature of the program!
Well, that's the real question, isn't it. If it turns out this is the case, and it can cache the maps for an entire region, and if it's smart enough to grab the maps for the entire region that you're currently in and/or going to, for some appreciable radius, AND if it can keep the maps in the cache for as long as you need it (which might be "forever" for maps of your home city), then I'm willing to give it a try.
But others in this thread have already talked about driving through backcountry areas with no 3G access, and not having any access to maps. They've talked about travelling down a highway and "running out of map" and having to pull over so that the 3G can connect and refresh the maps. If that's the sort of user experience I should expect, then I'd rather stick to a standalone GPS receiver. Or buy one of the other GPS apps that have built-in offline mapping.
Garmin touts the ability to get the latest map updates and real-time traffic. Definitely useful for navigating within big cities with major highways, constantly-expanding suburbs and major road expansions in the works. But without map prefetching and caching, they are making their GPS app ONLY useful for these areas.
Eagerly awaiting real-world reviews...
Well, that's the real question, isn't it. If it turns out this is the case, and it can cache the maps for an entire region, and if it's smart enough to grab the maps for the entire region that you're currently in and/or going to, for some appreciable radius, AND if it can keep the maps in the cache for as long as you need it (which might be "forever" for maps of your home city), then I'm willing to give it a try.
But others in this thread have already talked about driving through backcountry areas with no 3G access, and not having any access to maps. They've talked about travelling down a highway and "running out of map" and having to pull over so that the 3G can connect and refresh the maps. If that's the sort of user experience I should expect, then I'd rather stick to a standalone GPS receiver. Or buy one of the other GPS apps that have built-in offline mapping.
Garmin touts the ability to get the latest map updates and real-time traffic. Definitely useful for navigating within big cities with major highways, constantly-expanding suburbs and major road expansions in the works. But without map prefetching and caching, they are making their GPS app ONLY useful for these areas.
Eagerly awaiting real-world reviews...
bretm
Apr 16, 03:03 PM
I can't say I am a fan of Adobe Flash as I am a big supporter of an open web, but I must say that if cross-compiled apps are inferior then the customers in the app store will certainly vote with their dollars to favor the natively written apps.
However, I can see Apple putting this new restriction in their license agreement so as to protect themselves in case the Adobe folks find some way to sneak things onto the iPhone via their cross-compiling tools. Apple is protecting their turf, but by error on the side of caution they set themselves up for bad PR even if they intend to be more lax in acting on those restrictions.
Here is another example of that occurring.... certainly Apple is choosing to reserve the right to bend the rules where they see fit. But without the strict wording in the developer agreement they really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. They are doing the same with pornography by revoking/rejecting all those junk porn apps that polluted the app store while still allowing the "main stream" stuff from established publishers.
On one hand, its Apple's store and if they don't want to pollute their shelves with garbage then I applaud them. However, somebody is going to cry foul since there is not another legitimate store for iPhone apps, and I wonder if this will eventually blow-up as some sort of new anti-trust thing.
Here's what I think the cross-compiler issue is. Adobe had the same sort of problem before they bought flash, with their app that made flash files. It was called LiveMotion and it was great. The problem with that app though, was that Macromedia controlled flash, and adobe could only reverse engineer it after the latest version had been released. So, the features of Flash 7 couldn't be realized by the Adobe LiveMotion app until waaaay after the release of Flash 7. Usually near Flash 8, etc. Adobe was essentially always a version behind. Not such a big deal with apps made for desktops and laptops. But if Apple wants to control the experience and have all it's apps updated very quickly for new OS updates, they'd have to reveal all the new features to Adobe way beforehand so that all the people making apps via Adobe's compilier could update them quickly. And of course Apple would be reliant on those developers actually desiring to pay Adobe for an upgrade to flash, which usually only comes out every year and a half or so. Much slower than updates to iPhone and it's OS. So instead, if all the developers are using Apple's tools, Apple can simply slide them a free SDK update and have them recompile. Since updating apps is so simple this way, Apple can easily require that the developers recompile in a certain time frame. Pretty hard to do for the developers that would be going through Flash, and if Adobe didn't update their tools, then the devs couldn't update, and you've got a mess and the only people losing would be the iPhone users, and then of course Apple.
Not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying that's where Apple's coming from. I really don't think they are trying to piss off Adobe in particular. Why should they be angry at Adobe anyway? They're the ones that didn't allow flash. Adobe should be angry at Apple.
However, I can see Apple putting this new restriction in their license agreement so as to protect themselves in case the Adobe folks find some way to sneak things onto the iPhone via their cross-compiling tools. Apple is protecting their turf, but by error on the side of caution they set themselves up for bad PR even if they intend to be more lax in acting on those restrictions.
Here is another example of that occurring.... certainly Apple is choosing to reserve the right to bend the rules where they see fit. But without the strict wording in the developer agreement they really wouldn't have a leg to stand on. They are doing the same with pornography by revoking/rejecting all those junk porn apps that polluted the app store while still allowing the "main stream" stuff from established publishers.
On one hand, its Apple's store and if they don't want to pollute their shelves with garbage then I applaud them. However, somebody is going to cry foul since there is not another legitimate store for iPhone apps, and I wonder if this will eventually blow-up as some sort of new anti-trust thing.
Here's what I think the cross-compiler issue is. Adobe had the same sort of problem before they bought flash, with their app that made flash files. It was called LiveMotion and it was great. The problem with that app though, was that Macromedia controlled flash, and adobe could only reverse engineer it after the latest version had been released. So, the features of Flash 7 couldn't be realized by the Adobe LiveMotion app until waaaay after the release of Flash 7. Usually near Flash 8, etc. Adobe was essentially always a version behind. Not such a big deal with apps made for desktops and laptops. But if Apple wants to control the experience and have all it's apps updated very quickly for new OS updates, they'd have to reveal all the new features to Adobe way beforehand so that all the people making apps via Adobe's compilier could update them quickly. And of course Apple would be reliant on those developers actually desiring to pay Adobe for an upgrade to flash, which usually only comes out every year and a half or so. Much slower than updates to iPhone and it's OS. So instead, if all the developers are using Apple's tools, Apple can simply slide them a free SDK update and have them recompile. Since updating apps is so simple this way, Apple can easily require that the developers recompile in a certain time frame. Pretty hard to do for the developers that would be going through Flash, and if Adobe didn't update their tools, then the devs couldn't update, and you've got a mess and the only people losing would be the iPhone users, and then of course Apple.
Not saying it's right or wrong. Just saying that's where Apple's coming from. I really don't think they are trying to piss off Adobe in particular. Why should they be angry at Adobe anyway? They're the ones that didn't allow flash. Adobe should be angry at Apple.
more...
Rodimus Prime
May 5, 07:50 PM
The "Apple Tax" is largely just in the mind. PC Magazine, and several tech blogs, have had comparisons and found that a Mac is cheaper than machines from some Windows machines (I think Sony and Dell were more expensive but I could be wrong). Out of five tested, the Mac was in the middle.
I did the math, and gave it up after I had consistently lousy experiences with every version of Windows I used, with hardware from a variety of well known manufacturers.
I will happily spend the imaginary premium if it provides with a stable operating system.
if maybe if you go spec for spec but often times you end up having to pay for a bunch of crap you do not need or want to get what you want from Apple.
Take this. I needed/wanted a 15in Laptop higher res screen and i7 processor. I bought it for around $1500. Same laptop from Apple over 2 grand. I was willing to give up the alumium body and battery life because they were not as high on my list.
Or try this one. Someone wants a 17 (hell even 15 in) screen but only really need a core duo or a i3 processor. If they went Apple they have to pay a huge tax to pay for all the extra crap they do not want/need just to get that 15 or 17 in screen they want/need.
Apple Tax is in the form of having to buy a bunch of extra crap you do not need/want to get the few items that you do need/want.
I did the math, and gave it up after I had consistently lousy experiences with every version of Windows I used, with hardware from a variety of well known manufacturers.
I will happily spend the imaginary premium if it provides with a stable operating system.
if maybe if you go spec for spec but often times you end up having to pay for a bunch of crap you do not need or want to get what you want from Apple.
Take this. I needed/wanted a 15in Laptop higher res screen and i7 processor. I bought it for around $1500. Same laptop from Apple over 2 grand. I was willing to give up the alumium body and battery life because they were not as high on my list.
Or try this one. Someone wants a 17 (hell even 15 in) screen but only really need a core duo or a i3 processor. If they went Apple they have to pay a huge tax to pay for all the extra crap they do not want/need just to get that 15 or 17 in screen they want/need.
Apple Tax is in the form of having to buy a bunch of extra crap you do not need/want to get the few items that you do need/want.
spillproof
Aug 19, 09:56 AM
I give it a week until some little teenybopper gets stalked or kidnapped.
more...
theneweyes
Feb 26, 05:10 PM
Where's Bill Gates?
BENJMNS
Apr 24, 01:14 AM
seriously just shut ur pretty faces with the tired backlit keyboard anthem. this is like the least desirable feature esp since it has a direct impact on battery life.
so simple really:
-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool
the new x220 does the mba better in three items above today for a fact. time for apple to step it up again.
so simple really:
-more power
-longer battery life
-IPS display
-less weight
-runs cool
the new x220 does the mba better in three items above today for a fact. time for apple to step it up again.
more...
AllmightyFun
Jan 15, 08:34 AM
I am new here to the forum and was wondering if anyone could advise why only some of my contacts have matched accross?
Is it due to the fact that some of my numbers start +44 in my phonebook and they may start 07.... in facebook??
not sure what credentials it uses to compare and match the different phonebooks i.e name, number ect.
anyone know? :D
Is it due to the fact that some of my numbers start +44 in my phonebook and they may start 07.... in facebook??
not sure what credentials it uses to compare and match the different phonebooks i.e name, number ect.
anyone know? :D
BC2009
May 2, 01:17 PM
I think that no other company has their products come under more scrutiny than Apple. It is amazing. When folks say how the media just falls over Apple and praises them constantly -- it cracks me up. The media is just itching for bad news on Apple, and they are looking in every possible place to find it.
What shocks me is the level of forgiveness that competing tablets against the iPad are getting. Apple is so dominating the tablet-computing sector right now, that the media is just hoping for a contender. Motorola and RIM have both released "Beta Hardware (http://technologizer.com/2011/04/21/the-era-of-beta-hardware/)" to the public and many reviewers are being soft on RIM with even more being soft on Motorola. If Apple released such a product they would get blasted in the media with nobody offering forgiveness.
Case and point... Mossberg on the iPad 2:
"Also, the battery life, while very good, isn�t as strong as I found it to be on the first iPad. In my tough battery test, where I played full-length movies until the battery died, with the screen brightness at about 75% and both Wi-Fi and cellular radios running, the iPad 2 just barely exceeded Apple�s claimed battery life, dying after 10 hours and nine minutes."
Keep in mind that Apple advertises 10 hours and Mossberg got better than that with the brightness setting 25% higher than Apple's default setting. Yet he had to reach to find something to complain about (e.g.: his iPad 1 test unit just happened to have extraordinary battery life -- keep in mind that most reviewers of iPad 2 got better battery life than iPad 1).
Gruber criticizes Mossberg even more in a post called "Bending Over Backwards" (http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/bending_over_backwards). Some of Gruber's points are arguable, but I think he is dead-on in many regards, especially his final quote:
"Stating the plain truth, that the iPad 2 has no serious competition as a mainstream consumer device, doesn�t make you biased. It makes you accurate."
Apple, however, does not get to enjoy the luxury of forgiveness that the media affords to those who are not the market leader. The fact that folks are trying to quantify a thickness difference of 0.2 mm on some units, completely amazes me. I'm sure its within manufacturing specifications and I'm sure that not every single Black iPhone 4 is the same thickness, and yet it is news.
What shocks me is the level of forgiveness that competing tablets against the iPad are getting. Apple is so dominating the tablet-computing sector right now, that the media is just hoping for a contender. Motorola and RIM have both released "Beta Hardware (http://technologizer.com/2011/04/21/the-era-of-beta-hardware/)" to the public and many reviewers are being soft on RIM with even more being soft on Motorola. If Apple released such a product they would get blasted in the media with nobody offering forgiveness.
Case and point... Mossberg on the iPad 2:
"Also, the battery life, while very good, isn�t as strong as I found it to be on the first iPad. In my tough battery test, where I played full-length movies until the battery died, with the screen brightness at about 75% and both Wi-Fi and cellular radios running, the iPad 2 just barely exceeded Apple�s claimed battery life, dying after 10 hours and nine minutes."
Keep in mind that Apple advertises 10 hours and Mossberg got better than that with the brightness setting 25% higher than Apple's default setting. Yet he had to reach to find something to complain about (e.g.: his iPad 1 test unit just happened to have extraordinary battery life -- keep in mind that most reviewers of iPad 2 got better battery life than iPad 1).
Gruber criticizes Mossberg even more in a post called "Bending Over Backwards" (http://daringfireball.net/2011/03/bending_over_backwards). Some of Gruber's points are arguable, but I think he is dead-on in many regards, especially his final quote:
"Stating the plain truth, that the iPad 2 has no serious competition as a mainstream consumer device, doesn�t make you biased. It makes you accurate."
Apple, however, does not get to enjoy the luxury of forgiveness that the media affords to those who are not the market leader. The fact that folks are trying to quantify a thickness difference of 0.2 mm on some units, completely amazes me. I'm sure its within manufacturing specifications and I'm sure that not every single Black iPhone 4 is the same thickness, and yet it is news.
more...
aiqw9182
Apr 5, 05:58 PM
Which line in port? Are you talking about the (now removed) line-in on the 30 pin connector (not on iPhone 4) or are you talking about the second ring on the TRRS headphone/mic connector?
The line-in port on the iMac, Mac Pro, 15" & 17" MBP's and the Mac Mini.
The line-in port on the iMac, Mac Pro, 15" & 17" MBP's and the Mac Mini.
pmz
Mar 19, 04:40 PM
I disagree, very very small discount
Apple should have extended the full education discount of 14% to students. As much as I love Apple's products, they're very much an overly greedy company these days. They're also possibly being myopic, as students are highly likely to buy content for the device IMO
Very shameful Apple
wtf?
4 years ago my brother (parents) had to pay $2000 for his "tablet PC" from HP in highschool.
This works out to what, $470 a piece? Give me a break.
Apple should have extended the full education discount of 14% to students. As much as I love Apple's products, they're very much an overly greedy company these days. They're also possibly being myopic, as students are highly likely to buy content for the device IMO
Very shameful Apple
wtf?
4 years ago my brother (parents) had to pay $2000 for his "tablet PC" from HP in highschool.
This works out to what, $470 a piece? Give me a break.
addicted44
Apr 5, 09:07 AM
Oh my, what a conundrum for the fan boys. On one hand, CR loves the iPad and Apple's customer service but on the other hand, we have the iPhone 4. :D
Ummm...no.
Consumer Reports was clearly pageview trolling with the iPhone 4.
They rated it as their BEST smartphone, but said they wouldn't recommend it.
How does that make any sense?
Ummm...no.
Consumer Reports was clearly pageview trolling with the iPhone 4.
They rated it as their BEST smartphone, but said they wouldn't recommend it.
How does that make any sense?
Blue Velvet
Oct 26, 03:56 AM
I've decided to not go today... got other things to do. Have a good time, those that will be there. :)
liavman
Apr 27, 10:02 AM
Thanks Palter. Based on all your input, I booked my ticket on a 7 P.M. flight. Hopefully I can leave Moscone by 5 P.M. and make it. I assume it will take a bit longer than usual at that time of the day to get to San Francisco International Airport -SFO ( Google says half an hour with traffic )
Mac-Addict
Oct 24, 07:43 PM
Im so getting there at 3 and queuing, I don't care that much for free stuff (pfft :P) I just dont want to be in the queue until 7-8pm until I actually get in the store.
biohazard6969
Sep 17, 06:12 PM
I have a lot of girl friends because I am a ''nice guy'', but I have very few dating relationship currently (at 0 sadly), and am looking to increase those. Any advice to how to approach and what is a valid offer of something to do for a first date that isn't overly forward?.
dude i'm in the EXACT same position as you...don't you hate it when they call ya sweet? it doesn't help when all ur girl friends are hot as hell either. but yea, so no advice ccomin from me, but good luck neways
dude i'm in the EXACT same position as you...don't you hate it when they call ya sweet? it doesn't help when all ur girl friends are hot as hell either. but yea, so no advice ccomin from me, but good luck neways
Ugg
Mar 27, 10:24 AM
Publicity stunt?
I can't help but think that along with Steve's various email responses to customers, that Steve is morphing. Into what exactly, I'm not sure, but he seems to be more interested in responding to people. Maybe that new liver has something to do with it? At any rate, it's a very calculated move. Nothing he does is without a goal in mind.
I can't help but think that along with Steve's various email responses to customers, that Steve is morphing. Into what exactly, I'm not sure, but he seems to be more interested in responding to people. Maybe that new liver has something to do with it? At any rate, it's a very calculated move. Nothing he does is without a goal in mind.
No comments:
Post a Comment