Lord Blackadder
Apr 5, 06:59 PM
Fair enough. I'd be interested in your thoughts on Post No. 50, if you have any.
I agree with the notion that people should try to take steps to avoid risk, and that people can greatly reduce personal risk by making safer choices.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".
I agree with the notion that people should try to take steps to avoid risk, and that people can greatly reduce personal risk by making safer choices.
But this nugget of wisdom does not really touch on the substance of the issue arising in the OP, to wit - how much responsiblity does a rape victim carry? Or, to turn the question around, how much of the rape is not the rapist's fault?
What kind of twisted logic hears of a rape decides that looking "like a prostitute" is the salient feature of the case? What about the crazed deviant who committed the crime in the first place? Indeed, I think Gelfin's analogy is apt - if a smartly-dressed man is mugged, should we simply shrug our shoulders and say "well, he looked like he had a lot of money so he was asking for it. He should have been wearing something less ostentatious."
It's also, by the way, fallacious to assume that only young, attractive and/or scantily-clad women are raped. Such suppositions are the product of the same twisted male chauvinist perspective that suggests that looking "like a prostitute" means that women are "asking for it".
.jpg)
vincenz
Sep 5, 06:50 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/CaptMurdock/Screengrabs/Desktop9-10.jpg
Here's a link to the original, (http://gizmodo.com/5618454/wi+fihawks-at-the-diner?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29) sort of. I got lucky with Google -- I just can't find the Twitter that pointed me to the original picture.
I wonder what Edward Hopper would think of this :p
Here's a link to the original, (http://gizmodo.com/5618454/wi+fihawks-at-the-diner?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29) sort of. I got lucky with Google -- I just can't find the Twitter that pointed me to the original picture.
I wonder what Edward Hopper would think of this :p

666sheep
Apr 26, 04:11 PM
well here is the damage.
I cant get the old paste off the gpu as its baked on hard!
Top left corner of GPU looks burnt to me. Maybe it's bad picture quality, but if it's burnt really (what makes it DOA), it may explain why thermal paste is baked on.
I cant get the old paste off the gpu as its baked on hard!
Top left corner of GPU looks burnt to me. Maybe it's bad picture quality, but if it's burnt really (what makes it DOA), it may explain why thermal paste is baked on.

ranviper
Apr 6, 11:03 PM
Links please!
Of course!
http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/grungeaceofspades-578926.jpeg
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7089/hl1widery9.jpg
Of course!
http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/grungeaceofspades-578926.jpeg
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7089/hl1widery9.jpg
more...
NoNothing
Oct 2, 09:30 AM
This is similar to how I feel about Exchange/Outlook. Companies want to use Exchange only because it is one stop shopping for IT. In a corporate environment, Exchange is so inadequate as to be laughable. This is from a user stand point. It message/email tracking are simply pathetic IMO. It really feels like it is a personal email system forced to live in a corporate environment.
I have used Notes extensively as a database platform and have been dually impressed with what it can do. In one case, it was a bug/change tracking system and the implementation of the database was simply sweet. I have never heavily used the email system but going from Groupwise to Exchange was a shock in just how bad Exchange was.
Steven
When I start looking for a new job - the first question I'll ask is which Universal Messaging Platform have you deployed in your Enterprise? If they answer "Notes" I'll know the following about their organziation:
1. They care more about the dollar than about usability and employee satisfaction
2. The VP of IT is probably sleeping with the IBM rep
3. The business only uses it because they don't know any better (they've been there too long and have never used anything other than Notes and AOL).
4. They think that Notes databases are cool and hip and truly believe Access is an enterprise level database
5. And finally, they are so damn stupid they probably have Lotus 123 and Word Perfect as their "Office Suite"
"Save me lord from these fools"
I have used Notes extensively as a database platform and have been dually impressed with what it can do. In one case, it was a bug/change tracking system and the implementation of the database was simply sweet. I have never heavily used the email system but going from Groupwise to Exchange was a shock in just how bad Exchange was.
Steven
When I start looking for a new job - the first question I'll ask is which Universal Messaging Platform have you deployed in your Enterprise? If they answer "Notes" I'll know the following about their organziation:
1. They care more about the dollar than about usability and employee satisfaction
2. The VP of IT is probably sleeping with the IBM rep
3. The business only uses it because they don't know any better (they've been there too long and have never used anything other than Notes and AOL).
4. They think that Notes databases are cool and hip and truly believe Access is an enterprise level database
5. And finally, they are so damn stupid they probably have Lotus 123 and Word Perfect as their "Office Suite"
"Save me lord from these fools"

rickvanr
Oct 18, 07:47 PM
Proteus 4.0b8 Released
works great... always :)
http://www.proteusx.com/public_beta/4010cdaf4be273d7c08ed53a6dd047af/Proteus-408b8.dmg
works great... always :)
http://www.proteusx.com/public_beta/4010cdaf4be273d7c08ed53a6dd047af/Proteus-408b8.dmg
more...
louis Fashion
Apr 29, 11:15 AM
World War Sue.
I would love to see the crazy, interactive map of electronics lawsuits. There was a similar map posted here last year, and it was mind blowing. Everyone wants a leg-up. It's like a legal orgy.
Send in the lawyers!! Waste shareholder money!!
I would love to see the crazy, interactive map of electronics lawsuits. There was a similar map posted here last year, and it was mind blowing. Everyone wants a leg-up. It's like a legal orgy.
Send in the lawyers!! Waste shareholder money!!
edkill
Jun 28, 03:10 PM
I'll be waiting to pick up a black one on the 29th at the palm bay store, I wonder how long the line will be out there.
more...

spaceballl
Apr 7, 11:36 AM
hehehe riiiight like i'll be blowing away my jailbreak for this!
Matthew M.
Aug 15, 07:59 AM
Molly Sims from an SI Swimsuit Issue a few years ago:
more...
dmr727
Jan 21, 11:44 AM
Here's the deal. You need to understand how gas burning really works. You also are not at liberty to speak on what is or is not possible on that trip without actually having driven it - as I have.
He doesn't need to actually drive that trip to be skeptical of your claim of a thousand miles on a tank of gas. Frankly, I'm skeptical of it too.
The web is replete with stories of non-hybrid Altimas pushing 450+ miles.
Okay, but you're claiming double that. Not 10% more or 20% more - double.
He doesn't need to actually drive that trip to be skeptical of your claim of a thousand miles on a tank of gas. Frankly, I'm skeptical of it too.
The web is replete with stories of non-hybrid Altimas pushing 450+ miles.
Okay, but you're claiming double that. Not 10% more or 20% more - double.
rnelan7
Dec 25, 12:51 PM
My son got a "old school" kelly green DeSean Jackson jersey.:cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pT6m8CJME
I also got tickets for Sunday night from my brother :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pT6m8CJME
I also got tickets for Sunday night from my brother :D
more...
ranviper
Apr 6, 11:03 PM
Links please!
Of course!
http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/grungeaceofspades-578926.jpeg
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7089/hl1widery9.jpg
Of course!
http://www.wallpaper4me.com/images/wallpapers/grungeaceofspades-578926.jpeg
http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/7089/hl1widery9.jpg
mac.rumors
Sep 7, 01:10 PM
It's because very few countries were in September and now nearly 24 hours later, most, if not all countries, are in September.
Anyhow onto topic :)
Took this one nearly 24 hours ago. It's an awesome screenshot of Batman from the Dark Knight (which I should hopefully get on Blu-ray soon, already have the movie in my iTunes library :D)
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1262/batmana.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5894/attachmentb.jpg)
and this was taken minutes ago. It's a still of Michael Jackson doing the awesome (and famous?) anti-gravity lean :)
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/264/screenshot20100901at753.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/264/screenshot20100901at753.jpg)
Two AWESOME wallpapers, especially the MJ antigravity one!!
Anyhow onto topic :)
Took this one nearly 24 hours ago. It's an awesome screenshot of Batman from the Dark Knight (which I should hopefully get on Blu-ray soon, already have the movie in my iTunes library :D)
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/1262/batmana.jpg (http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5894/attachmentb.jpg)
and this was taken minutes ago. It's a still of Michael Jackson doing the awesome (and famous?) anti-gravity lean :)
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/264/screenshot20100901at753.jpg (http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/264/screenshot20100901at753.jpg)
Two AWESOME wallpapers, especially the MJ antigravity one!!
more...

filmantopia
Mar 31, 01:08 PM
As a professional photographer this thing is (and always will be) an "App Store" toy - nothing more.
The iPad will never have the horse power to do what pros need.
So true. I will also stand with you that humanity has reached its technological peak, and there is nothing left to be invented. All we have to do now is lean back and smile at our incredible achievements.
Those fools who waste their time using their imaginations... Better to just appreciate all that currently exists and discourage others who try to imagine better possibilities. Amiright?
Sure, in the 80s we were the ones that said the personal computer, upon its release, was nothing more than a toy, despite it absurd popularity. So, okay, we were wrong then, but I assure you, not this time! Not this time!!
The iPad will never have the horse power to do what pros need.
So true. I will also stand with you that humanity has reached its technological peak, and there is nothing left to be invented. All we have to do now is lean back and smile at our incredible achievements.
Those fools who waste their time using their imaginations... Better to just appreciate all that currently exists and discourage others who try to imagine better possibilities. Amiright?
Sure, in the 80s we were the ones that said the personal computer, upon its release, was nothing more than a toy, despite it absurd popularity. So, okay, we were wrong then, but I assure you, not this time! Not this time!!

icedd
Oct 8, 11:01 PM
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4668/26539197.png (http://intricedd.deviantart.com/art/DESKTOP-XIII-182002382)
Click it.
Click it.
more...

pedrofan
May 5, 03:38 PM
WOW since i just updated my macbook pro it boots so quickly that i don't even see the spinning wheel, i have a owc mercury extreme 6g. thank apple :)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148192
Read the forum.. ;)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1148192
Read the forum.. ;)
Wicked1
Mar 27, 03:54 PM
I thought something was suspicious just looking at their feedback rating before reading their description. I guess that is what you get for dealing with someone with a cloudy past and not reading what you are bidding on or buying, that seller needs to be banned from eBay.

Blakeasd
Mar 25, 03:17 PM
To me Serlet has more knowledge than Craig. He actually includes information about under the hood stuff and the nice new UI features. Craig just says "beautiful" "very natural". I will remember Serlet as the father of Leopard -- Apple's best release IMO and Craig with Lion, a release that really has nothing that exiting.
Again just my opinion.
Again just my opinion.
Bern
Sep 24, 09:15 PM
So you'd rather his folks make all the big decisions for him and never let him become that adult?
Parents should be slowly divesting themselves of big, life decisions to their children as they grow. Yes, you can set rules of the house but you can't actually actively prevent him from doing something.
Who's talking about decisions? It's about teaching responsibilities.
Obviously you can't prevent any person from doing as they desire, but setting rules is not a prison sentence, it's a loving parent exercising their responsibility to set guidelines for a yet not grown up (technically) young adult who doesn't know any better. Sure they need to learn by their mistakes, but tell that to him when he's 19 and responsible for a baby who never asked to be brought into the world. He'll have to grow up then won't he or can he?
Parents should be slowly divesting themselves of big, life decisions to their children as they grow. Yes, you can set rules of the house but you can't actually actively prevent him from doing something.
Who's talking about decisions? It's about teaching responsibilities.
Obviously you can't prevent any person from doing as they desire, but setting rules is not a prison sentence, it's a loving parent exercising their responsibility to set guidelines for a yet not grown up (technically) young adult who doesn't know any better. Sure they need to learn by their mistakes, but tell that to him when he's 19 and responsible for a baby who never asked to be brought into the world. He'll have to grow up then won't he or can he?
skunk
May 4, 01:18 PM
My thoughts on torture are exactly the same now as they have always been.
Don't do it.
Don't do it.
coder12
Mar 25, 11:13 AM
I'm using Garmin Mobile XT on my Windows mobile phone--it's really really nice.
Using maps on my iPad.... uhhhh.... not so nice :P
Using maps on my iPad.... uhhhh.... not so nice :P
simsaladimbamba
Apr 21, 04:07 AM
No.
weave
Sep 27, 04:43 PM
When oh when are they going to update that insanely arcane iCal "feature" on .Mac. Why isn't it easy to access my calendars from my .Mac homepage? And WHY can't I ADD an event from .Mac. So frustrating.
Amen on that. It's frustrating that a lot of .mac has been ignored for the past few years. It seemed like that service was improved more often back when it was free. I don't get it.
Amen on that. It's frustrating that a lot of .mac has been ignored for the past few years. It seemed like that service was improved more often back when it was free. I don't get it.
No comments:
Post a Comment