Lord Blackadder
Mar 1, 02:45 PM
But the damn things are noisy, and the exhaust smells really bad.
That may be true of the huge American diesel truck engines, but go examine a new VW, BMW or Mercedes diesel and you'll see that this is just not the case anymore. They sound a little different, smell a little different, but not worse than gasoline - it's just that we are so used to gas engines that everything else is assumed to be worse somehow.
That may be true of the huge American diesel truck engines, but go examine a new VW, BMW or Mercedes diesel and you'll see that this is just not the case anymore. They sound a little different, smell a little different, but not worse than gasoline - it's just that we are so used to gas engines that everything else is assumed to be worse somehow.
savar
Nov 15, 11:57 AM
31% is a little disappointing for 2x the number of cores. I'm hoping that particular benchmark isn't particularly tuned for multiple cores. I was thinking 60-70% would be more likely. I don't see where all the overhead is coming from. Or it because these aren't true quad-core, but really just dual-duals on the same wafer?
regandarcy
Apr 19, 12:20 PM
Honestly with the new Quad Core MBP lineup it makes much more sense to get a monitor and add it to your notebook than to get an iMac. (Unless you really need 16GB of ram vs 8GB).
I can see one day only having the Mac Pro for those of use that need one (video editing, digital creation etc) and the high-powered MBP for those who don't want a tower.
The current apple cinema displays don't have a thunderbolt port. And actually I think the macbooks have more to fear from the ipads than the iMacs do from the macbooks. Also, there used to be a time not long ago, that artists ALWAYS went for the Mac pros over an iMac.....but that is not the case anymore. I know filmmakers, photographers, graphic artists and the like who've chosen the maxed out iMac instead of a Mac pro.
I can see one day only having the Mac Pro for those of use that need one (video editing, digital creation etc) and the high-powered MBP for those who don't want a tower.
The current apple cinema displays don't have a thunderbolt port. And actually I think the macbooks have more to fear from the ipads than the iMacs do from the macbooks. Also, there used to be a time not long ago, that artists ALWAYS went for the Mac pros over an iMac.....but that is not the case anymore. I know filmmakers, photographers, graphic artists and the like who've chosen the maxed out iMac instead of a Mac pro.
twoodcc
Feb 20, 11:58 PM
congrats to sparky76 for 3 million points!
Peterkro
Mar 19, 04:37 PM
Nice edit. CNN was first. :p
The edit wasn't supposed to suggest the Beeb got it first it's just where I saw it. There really isn't a "we got if first" thing in news reporting, stuff tends to come first on the wire services and video comes from essentially auction centres (I know of two one in Atlanta and one in London ) which within seconds sells "exclusive" images on the open market.Al Jaz gets something and it's on Beeb/Cnn etc within minutes for example.
The edit wasn't supposed to suggest the Beeb got it first it's just where I saw it. There really isn't a "we got if first" thing in news reporting, stuff tends to come first on the wire services and video comes from essentially auction centres (I know of two one in Atlanta and one in London ) which within seconds sells "exclusive" images on the open market.Al Jaz gets something and it's on Beeb/Cnn etc within minutes for example.

Michaelgtrusa
Mar 21, 10:54 PM
You should check out Alex Jones. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAlexJonesChannel#p/u/0/aAabLYys72A
He's spot on.
He's spot on.

iGav
Feb 25, 07:51 AM
looking at the very current and very genius Fiat Twin Air engines i have to say that very refined turbocharged small displacement/ few cylinder engines are actually the next step over the overly complicated hybrid systems
The Twin Air is conceptually brilliant... but its real world numbers haven't anywhere near matched up to Fiat's official figures (68.9mpg official - 35.7mpg real world, neither of which are particularly brilliant to begin with) and there lies one of the problems with small capacity engines, in anything other than ideal test conditions (i.e. rolling road), it is extraordinarily difficult to even approach the officials figures in everyday conditions, because put simply, they have to be razzed.
Like what you've said though, there's a compelling argument to be made that a diesel-electric hybrid (like VW's XL1 Concept), with energy recovery would probably be the best arrangement (particularly for an urban car), in this instance the diesel engine is isolated from the actually drivetrain (reducing NVH etc) and the electric motors counter the age old argument of petrol>diesel refinement.
I do think that smaller capacity, fewer cylinder engines are the way to go, but only if the absolutely most important factor is addressed first, and that is one of weight, until then...
The Twin Air is conceptually brilliant... but its real world numbers haven't anywhere near matched up to Fiat's official figures (68.9mpg official - 35.7mpg real world, neither of which are particularly brilliant to begin with) and there lies one of the problems with small capacity engines, in anything other than ideal test conditions (i.e. rolling road), it is extraordinarily difficult to even approach the officials figures in everyday conditions, because put simply, they have to be razzed.
Like what you've said though, there's a compelling argument to be made that a diesel-electric hybrid (like VW's XL1 Concept), with energy recovery would probably be the best arrangement (particularly for an urban car), in this instance the diesel engine is isolated from the actually drivetrain (reducing NVH etc) and the electric motors counter the age old argument of petrol>diesel refinement.
I do think that smaller capacity, fewer cylinder engines are the way to go, but only if the absolutely most important factor is addressed first, and that is one of weight, until then...

Joshuarocks
Mar 25, 12:15 AM
This sounds interesting. Now I'm anticipating the iMac/MP refresh even more....
The possibility of off-the-shelf options looks even better, though. Potential expansion of MP life span?
Imac refresh is more imminent than the MP refresh - for all we know, middle of 2012 the latest or even later, as Apple clearly sees no interest in Mac Pro as much as the Laptops, iMac, and others, esp the iphone 5 coming up. Mac Pro simply doesn't top the list, unfortionately, but sad to say the 6-core is going to be my LAST Mac Pro as I am not using it to its full potential due to lack of interest in multi-threaded apps and no use for such applications.. Only got the 6-core w3680 for prolonging the machine.
The possibility of off-the-shelf options looks even better, though. Potential expansion of MP life span?
Imac refresh is more imminent than the MP refresh - for all we know, middle of 2012 the latest or even later, as Apple clearly sees no interest in Mac Pro as much as the Laptops, iMac, and others, esp the iphone 5 coming up. Mac Pro simply doesn't top the list, unfortionately, but sad to say the 6-core is going to be my LAST Mac Pro as I am not using it to its full potential due to lack of interest in multi-threaded apps and no use for such applications.. Only got the 6-core w3680 for prolonging the machine.
wchong
Oct 23, 07:10 AM
Tuesday Release!!!!
Mulyahnto
Jul 19, 04:01 PM
No - according to http://www.pegasus3d.com/total_share.html Mac sales have been above 3 million since 1998. But it looks like Apple's on track for > 5 million in the highest sales figures ever.
Apple has been shipping at least 1 million Macs per quarter since Q1 2005. They shipped ~800K in Q4 2004.
Apple has been shipping at least 1 million Macs per quarter since Q1 2005. They shipped ~800K in Q4 2004.
dmaxdmax
Nov 28, 10:41 AM
I was in a Best Buy the day before Thanksgiving and an employee told me they sold 4 Zunes that morning because they were out of stock on iPods. More were to be delivered that afternoon so he expected iPods to rule Friday. (as well they should)
For MS the Zune is as much about strategy as anything. If they believe it's a necessary product it will be easy to justify extraordinary marketing spending. Apple has shown them there is no shame in a 5% market share if you believe in your product and have patience.
MS hasn't bet the farm on anything. It bought into the game with a moderately high ante and has many many chips in its stack. Just because they aren't usually smart doesn't mean they will always be stupid. It could come down to Gates' successor's vision which won't be known til he's sitting in the big chair.
For MS the Zune is as much about strategy as anything. If they believe it's a necessary product it will be easy to justify extraordinary marketing spending. Apple has shown them there is no shame in a 5% market share if you believe in your product and have patience.
MS hasn't bet the farm on anything. It bought into the game with a moderately high ante and has many many chips in its stack. Just because they aren't usually smart doesn't mean they will always be stupid. It could come down to Gates' successor's vision which won't be known til he's sitting in the big chair.
(marc)
Mar 18, 07:35 AM
You know it. I would even go so far as to say it's ridiculous! :rolleyes:
In full disclosure, I've had a borderline man-crush on Obama since he announced he was running for POTUS... but when I heard about this UN resolution, my heart just sank. Eight years of Bush "forcefully spreading the gospel of democracy 'round the world" idiocy and we appear to have learned nothing. Nothing. :(
Would you rather have the Libyan people (who have called for help!) slaughtered by Gaddafi?
In full disclosure, I've had a borderline man-crush on Obama since he announced he was running for POTUS... but when I heard about this UN resolution, my heart just sank. Eight years of Bush "forcefully spreading the gospel of democracy 'round the world" idiocy and we appear to have learned nothing. Nothing. :(
Would you rather have the Libyan people (who have called for help!) slaughtered by Gaddafi?
Zwhaler
Aug 21, 12:35 PM
Yeah, if the Zune can't even play videos, what makes anyone think it will be even nearly competable with the next iPod? I think that either the Zune is gonna suck, or they are gonna surprise with an honestly good music player.
chubad
Jan 1, 07:16 PM
This year is a tough one so far. Weak rumors at best. Apple has really stepped up the secrecy and plugged the leaks. Like others have said it will either be insanely great or insanely disappointing. To tell you the truth, unless some better sourced rumors surface I think it may very well be a disappointing keynote.:(
I hope I'm wrong.
I hope I'm wrong.
el-John-o
Nov 30, 08:02 AM
The only thing that bugs me, is that I quite believe that iOS fakes cell reception. For example, having a FULL 3G signal could be anywhere from 500k-2mbps, where my old phone, aircard, others peoples phones, show 1-2 bars, maybe 3. I get the same speeds with it as I do with my aircard in particular places, but the iPhone shows a stronger signal?
So while it appears to have better reception, I don't think it actually does.
That said, I've never dropped a call. It's definitely no worse than any other device, I just don't think it reports accurately.
So while it appears to have better reception, I don't think it actually does.
That said, I've never dropped a call. It's definitely no worse than any other device, I just don't think it reports accurately.
Abstract
Nov 27, 04:19 AM
After being here for 3 years, Surely he's not a troll. ;)

jord1985
Nov 23, 09:18 PM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=261567&stc=1&d=1290568599
X-rays and casting. It counts as a purchase.
X-rays and casting. It counts as a purchase.

Phishin' it
Oct 23, 07:53 AM
What are the chances the macbooks will be updated at the same time as the pros?

M-Life
Aug 29, 12:45 PM
It seems that if this rumor is correct, then why now? Why not 2 months ago? Have mini sales been all that great to warrant holding off on a simple update? Or could they possibly have been waiting for other products to move to merom so the mini doesn't infringe? I just don't understand why this has taken so long.
charlituna
May 2, 10:33 PM
TO ALL FANBOYS:
This is better than what we have now.
Life goes on. Live moves forward. Apple is a forward-thinking company.
Deal with it!
The best part is that it is an option. You don't have to use this or Launchpad if you don't want to. The whole Finder thing is still there for all the geeks and such
This is better than what we have now.
Life goes on. Live moves forward. Apple is a forward-thinking company.
Deal with it!
The best part is that it is an option. You don't have to use this or Launchpad if you don't want to. The whole Finder thing is still there for all the geeks and such
X2468
Apr 2, 07:20 PM
Urgh, new iCal really is horrible.
Yes, it's designed to simplify and bring the computers down to the level of basic consumer electronics items. That way Apple will sell even more. All they seem to care about these days is having media events, and announcements where they spend their time bragging about how many they've sold.
Yes, it's designed to simplify and bring the computers down to the level of basic consumer electronics items. That way Apple will sell even more. All they seem to care about these days is having media events, and announcements where they spend their time bragging about how many they've sold.
deputy_doofy
Jul 19, 04:42 PM
This is actually the general trend in the computer market since the rise of
portables against desktop machines. Portables are becoming increasingly
powerful (computational-wise) up to the point that the line between them
and Desktops is blurred.
Agreed. I love my dual-proc G5, but a little more than a year later, I still find myself using my PB G4 more simply because it's with me almost all the time. That said, I'll be buying a nice, little portable monster (MPB w/C2D) to rival my G5. :D
portables against desktop machines. Portables are becoming increasingly
powerful (computational-wise) up to the point that the line between them
and Desktops is blurred.
Agreed. I love my dual-proc G5, but a little more than a year later, I still find myself using my PB G4 more simply because it's with me almost all the time. That said, I'll be buying a nice, little portable monster (MPB w/C2D) to rival my G5. :D
archer75
May 3, 04:44 PM
The Quad i5 or i7?
The i7. I actually have an i7 920 in my PC but the sandy bridge is still a good upgrade.
The i7. I actually have an i7 920 in my PC but the sandy bridge is still a good upgrade.
brepublican
Aug 29, 11:09 AM
If the MacBook and Mini stay with core 1 CPUs, sales will grind to a halt.
True. This alleged upgrade is not enough to make me wanna go for a mini. I'm waiting for Meroms in the iMacs before I even begin to think about upgrading
True. This alleged upgrade is not enough to make me wanna go for a mini. I'm waiting for Meroms in the iMacs before I even begin to think about upgrading
No comments:
Post a Comment