JRM PowerPod
Aug 7, 02:59 AM
Any Aussies staying up? I think i will have to.
Why can't Steve do his Keynote at like 4pm over in the US, that we'd be able to wake up at 9. Anyways! As long as he has a big sleigh i don't care
Why can't Steve do his Keynote at like 4pm over in the US, that we'd be able to wake up at 9. Anyways! As long as he has a big sleigh i don't care

macthetiger85
Apr 26, 04:51 PM
I think you are missing the point:
"What are some other reasons for refusing registration?
Registration may be refused if the mark is:
� Descriptive for the goods/services;
� A geographic term;
� A surname;
� Ornamental as applied to the goods"
Source: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts_with_correct_links.pdf
App Store is descriptive of what it does. In other words, it sells apps or applications. Therefore, it cannot be trademarked. Apple can use it if they want, but so can anyone else doing the same thing.
This is pretty much saying that Microsoft is going to trademark Operating System. Both Microsoft and Apple make operating systems. What Windows is is a type of operating system. Windows does not describe the product.
Example:
Shop that sells windows cannot trademark "Window Seller" because it describes precisely what the shop does. It is generic + descriptive = no trademark.
so a geographic term like, o, let's say, Amazon would fall within that same rule right?
"What are some other reasons for refusing registration?
Registration may be refused if the mark is:
� Descriptive for the goods/services;
� A geographic term;
� A surname;
� Ornamental as applied to the goods"
Source: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/BasicFacts_with_correct_links.pdf
App Store is descriptive of what it does. In other words, it sells apps or applications. Therefore, it cannot be trademarked. Apple can use it if they want, but so can anyone else doing the same thing.
This is pretty much saying that Microsoft is going to trademark Operating System. Both Microsoft and Apple make operating systems. What Windows is is a type of operating system. Windows does not describe the product.
Example:
Shop that sells windows cannot trademark "Window Seller" because it describes precisely what the shop does. It is generic + descriptive = no trademark.
so a geographic term like, o, let's say, Amazon would fall within that same rule right?

Small White Car
Apr 12, 10:09 PM
Let's not forget that this is $299 for ALL YOUR MACS. (Up the the limit...4 or 5, I think?)
I had to buy 2 versions of the suite to edit on 2 Macs at once. Today, if that's all I need then my initial purchase price just went from $1,998 to $299. Anyone who says this is expensive is insane.
Yeah, the other apps will cost more but the point is that not everyone needs all of those. I sure wouldn't have bought all of them.
I had to buy 2 versions of the suite to edit on 2 Macs at once. Today, if that's all I need then my initial purchase price just went from $1,998 to $299. Anyone who says this is expensive is insane.
Yeah, the other apps will cost more but the point is that not everyone needs all of those. I sure wouldn't have bought all of them.
PBF
Apr 2, 11:20 PM
In Safari, you can now change the width of a page by moving the cursor to the scrollbar and you see the little "adjust width" icon. Drag that and the width of the page decreases/increases toward the center.
If I understood your explanation/description correctly (which was kinda confusing), then it's been there since DP1, and it's not just the right side, it's all four sides and all four corners, and lastly, it's a system-wide feature, not just Safari's.
If I understood your explanation/description correctly (which was kinda confusing), then it's been there since DP1, and it's not just the right side, it's all four sides and all four corners, and lastly, it's a system-wide feature, not just Safari's.
jettredmont
May 2, 04:58 PM
I think this is pretty awesome. I know that currently all you have to do is drag the app to the trash but it always bothers me that it could leave leftover files in Library, etc., which is why I use AppCleaner. I think having this more streamlined and comprehensive way of removing apps would be a lot better.
Any app which puts stuff in Library, etc, should include an uninstaller. That is not a well-behaved drag-install app.
Of course, looking at your /Applications folder, I defy anyone to reliably pick the drag-install apps (which can just be dragged to trash) apart from the installer-installed apps (for which you will need to somehow locate an uninstaller to remove them).
Any app which puts stuff in Library, etc, should include an uninstaller. That is not a well-behaved drag-install app.
Of course, looking at your /Applications folder, I defy anyone to reliably pick the drag-install apps (which can just be dragged to trash) apart from the installer-installed apps (for which you will need to somehow locate an uninstaller to remove them).
stcanard
Nov 28, 02:15 PM
It may not be true that they broke even, it's just something I thought I heard on a tv interview...
I suspect its all in the definition, I'll bet the "Xbox Division" broke even, which would be a very different thing because that would mean the video games and licensing made enough money to balance the losses from the console. Of course make those games for the PS2, and they would have been profitable instead of break even, but that wasn't the point. The point was to gain foothold in a new market.
Sony is selling the PS3 at a loss as well, Nintendo I'm sure is making money on the Wii...
I don't think I'd hold up Sony as an example of how to innovate and market -- they lost their focus decades ago. Aside from the walkman, let's see what products has Sony pushed in the last 30 years...
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
Now we sit back and see if the PS3 and Blu-Ray follow the recent trend. If we're comparing Microsoft to Sony that's what you have to look forward to.
I suspect its all in the definition, I'll bet the "Xbox Division" broke even, which would be a very different thing because that would mean the video games and licensing made enough money to balance the losses from the console. Of course make those games for the PS2, and they would have been profitable instead of break even, but that wasn't the point. The point was to gain foothold in a new market.
Sony is selling the PS3 at a loss as well, Nintendo I'm sure is making money on the Wii...
I don't think I'd hold up Sony as an example of how to innovate and market -- they lost their focus decades ago. Aside from the walkman, let's see what products has Sony pushed in the last 30 years...
Beta
MiniDisc
Memory Stick
ATRAC
Now we sit back and see if the PS3 and Blu-Ray follow the recent trend. If we're comparing Microsoft to Sony that's what you have to look forward to.
eddietr
Jan 11, 09:40 PM
what if this slim macbook had a touch pad keyboard? that would be one way to make it smaller
That would be interesting.
The one thing miss about my old thinkpad is the eraser mouse thing in the middle of the keyboard.
Not that the eraser head is that great of a pointing device, it's just that not having to move your hands from typing to moving to typing to moving is really convenient.
They could achieve the same by just merging the keyboard and trackpad together.
That would be interesting.
The one thing miss about my old thinkpad is the eraser mouse thing in the middle of the keyboard.
Not that the eraser head is that great of a pointing device, it's just that not having to move your hands from typing to moving to typing to moving is really convenient.
They could achieve the same by just merging the keyboard and trackpad together.
Tronic
Mar 25, 08:26 PM
What I would like to see is 1080p out via wifi to apple TV, thus negating the need for dock connector out as seen in the video. Then companies will start developing in the opposite direction. IE apps optimized to take advantage of the apple TVs power while using the ipad/iphone/itouch as remotes/controllers.
babyj
Nov 29, 06:11 PM
Whilst I'm not Microsofts biggest fan, their Media Centre is pretty good, actually its a lot more than pretty good - even I'm tempted. Once you've got Media Centre running on your PC, you can hook up a �200 Xbox 360 to access all the content (music, video, digital tv etc). The PVR side of Media Centre is excellent as well.
If the iTV is going to cost �100, it will need to do something pretty special to be a success - everything that Microsoft offerings can do at the very least.
If the iTV is going to cost �100, it will need to do something pretty special to be a success - everything that Microsoft offerings can do at the very least.
Machead III
Sep 7, 12:33 PM
Funny, that's what I thought reading your original post.
Cearly "education" didn't serve you as you started the communism argument.
Please, enlghten me, off forum, so I may better understand.
Considering your locations (UK and France) I'm not surprised.
I'm not interested in talking to bigots.
Cearly "education" didn't serve you as you started the communism argument.
Please, enlghten me, off forum, so I may better understand.
Considering your locations (UK and France) I'm not surprised.
I'm not interested in talking to bigots.

Lord Blackadder
Mar 21, 03:31 PM
I don't think there will be any conditions: at some point, effective authority will simply be seen to reside with them, rather than Daffy the Duck, and at that point, they will become the de facto recognised representatives.
That is my thinking as well. I wonder what the Arab League's stance on this will be. They certainly have little love for Gaddafi, but they dread revolutions of any kind. The Libyan opposition seem committed to a parlimentary democracy that would be popularly supported, and that is heartening. There is a real opportunity here for a reasonably good outcome from a political standpoint.
That is my thinking as well. I wonder what the Arab League's stance on this will be. They certainly have little love for Gaddafi, but they dread revolutions of any kind. The Libyan opposition seem committed to a parlimentary democracy that would be popularly supported, and that is heartening. There is a real opportunity here for a reasonably good outcome from a political standpoint.

BabyFaceMagee
Jan 12, 12:31 AM
Here is some info on the wireless power adaptor technlogy I mentioned previously that I believe will be incorporated into a new low power mac that does not ever need to be plugged in. There are two trains of thought. One is that it will be set atop a wireless power pad that will conduct the electricity a mere inch or two to 'charge' or power the mac without any cable or outside connectors and the other which has been demonstrated by a few other companies including involves electricity being sent through the air similar to a wireless signal, except the laptop actually charges without any wires at all - cordless electricity as it were.
Here's some links to some past posts discussing the technlogy.
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/16/rumors-docking-and-charging-by-induction/
http://www.louisgray.com/live/2007/02/its-time-to-make-power-wireless-and.html
Finally, a company called Powercast at www.powercastco.com demonstrated this wireless power transfer not too long ago by lighting a bulb up with absolutely no wires. Pretty cool and inevitable if you ask me.
This is what I'm guessing will be the hot new product - the MacAir - no cords. Power without wires.
BFM
Here's some links to some past posts discussing the technlogy.
http://www.tuaw.com/2007/02/16/rumors-docking-and-charging-by-induction/
http://www.louisgray.com/live/2007/02/its-time-to-make-power-wireless-and.html
Finally, a company called Powercast at www.powercastco.com demonstrated this wireless power transfer not too long ago by lighting a bulb up with absolutely no wires. Pretty cool and inevitable if you ask me.
This is what I'm guessing will be the hot new product - the MacAir - no cords. Power without wires.
BFM
eawmp1
Apr 21, 11:21 AM
Is Al Frankin running for president again? :rolleyes:
~Shard~
Nov 25, 12:38 AM
Certainly not the most expensive mac ever sold. The 40 Mhz II fx was shipping while the II ci sported an MSRP of over $8,000 at 25Mhz. Cheapest the ci sold for even at developer discount at the end of its amazingly long 4+ year run was over $3,300, and those were late 80's dollars.
So to my mind, a few grand on a new machine these days is dirt cheap.
Couldn't agree more. After all, this used to be a bargain as well as the aforementioned machines... :cool:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215//tandypricetp6.png (http://imageshack.us)
So to my mind, a few grand on a new machine these days is dirt cheap.
Couldn't agree more. After all, this used to be a bargain as well as the aforementioned machines... :cool:
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215//tandypricetp6.png (http://imageshack.us)
gkhaldi
Oct 23, 06:57 AM
I can bet $100 that there will be MacBook/Pro upgrades either this year or next year!
200 bucks says you can't predict the date ;)
EDIT = forgot the quote
200 bucks says you can't predict the date ;)
EDIT = forgot the quote
Reach9
Mar 20, 07:10 PM
Really, Gaddafi deserves it.
US is trying to be as coy as possible by saying that other people are taking charge of this, and bringing in UAE and Qatar on their side.
I find this great, and can't wait until the lunatic leader gets justice.
US is trying to be as coy as possible by saying that other people are taking charge of this, and bringing in UAE and Qatar on their side.
I find this great, and can't wait until the lunatic leader gets justice.
pkson
May 3, 04:07 AM
It seems like any time there's even a slight implication of any software being tuned to be easier to use, there's a barrage of negative comments lamenting how it's been "watered down."
What's with all this baseless elitism?
(Over uninstalling an app! Such a trite matter)
I see lots of people saying they'll stick with their version, or that it's the end of whatever paradigm they had before... why? Because it's what... "harder to use?" Who is that going to impress?
Not just for Lion, but this is exactly what happened with FCPX.
Which direction would the evolution of software go? Harder? Of course not...
I really wonder what the reasoning behind all this negativity is...
What's with all this baseless elitism?
(Over uninstalling an app! Such a trite matter)
I see lots of people saying they'll stick with their version, or that it's the end of whatever paradigm they had before... why? Because it's what... "harder to use?" Who is that going to impress?
Not just for Lion, but this is exactly what happened with FCPX.
Which direction would the evolution of software go? Harder? Of course not...
I really wonder what the reasoning behind all this negativity is...
ipedro
Apr 12, 09:34 PM
Please don't become one of those photographers who thinks they can "just add video" to their list of services because their DSLR shoots video. It's a lot more complicated than that.
I'm kinda glad FCP and other tools cost as much as they do. It keeps the professionals serious about their craft. Having been on both sides of the fence, being a photographer doesn't make you a videographer and vice versa.
On the contrary, I don't add it to my services at all. My clients do however sometimes request some video with my shoots. If it appears that they want full fledged video, I'll outsource a videographer to accompany me on the shoot. However, if all a client wants is a short video attached to the main service of photography, it's not justifiable to hire a videographer.
I'm kinda glad FCP and other tools cost as much as they do. It keeps the professionals serious about their craft. Having been on both sides of the fence, being a photographer doesn't make you a videographer and vice versa.
On the contrary, I don't add it to my services at all. My clients do however sometimes request some video with my shoots. If it appears that they want full fledged video, I'll outsource a videographer to accompany me on the shoot. However, if all a client wants is a short video attached to the main service of photography, it's not justifiable to hire a videographer.
dethmaShine
May 2, 04:25 PM
They could have simplified the whole process in the following way:
mkrishnan
Jan 1, 05:53 PM
Whatever happend to the thin macbook? That is all I wanted this year.
I don't think there's been any compelling evidence to support that, sadly. At least, several very seemingly viable component technologies, such as ULV C2D's, are not available yet.
For the iSight, too, no really compelling evidence of what the revised product would be, should there be one.
I don't think there's been any compelling evidence to support that, sadly. At least, several very seemingly viable component technologies, such as ULV C2D's, are not available yet.
For the iSight, too, no really compelling evidence of what the revised product would be, should there be one.
Meandmunch
Mar 25, 04:02 PM
Very cool!
By the time the big game console companies (xbox, PS3) finally decide it's time to move forward with a new system (2014-15 is what has been projected), a device as mundane as an iPhone sporting a A7-A8 processor will blow right past existing console tech. iDevices and there closest competitors will be biting deeply into console market share.
By the time the big game console companies (xbox, PS3) finally decide it's time to move forward with a new system (2014-15 is what has been projected), a device as mundane as an iPhone sporting a A7-A8 processor will blow right past existing console tech. iDevices and there closest competitors will be biting deeply into console market share.
Mousse
Feb 23, 11:43 AM
So when will automakers sell a compact pickup with a 2 liter diesel in the US? I want a diesel pick up. But I don't want a behemoth that requires a ladder to enter and hogs 2/3 of a 2 car garage.:p
I prefer diesel in a work truck for three reasons: torque, torque and torque.
I prefer diesel in a work truck for three reasons: torque, torque and torque.
walshlink
Mar 26, 02:07 AM
I simply LOVE how people talk about 1080p without mentioning bitrate. When the A5 chip can handle 1080p video at 40 Mb/s, this will be newsworthy.
lordonuthin
Mar 25, 12:24 PM
congrats to 4JNA for 6 million points!
Ditto! and of course to everyone else makin' points for us! :)
Ditto! and of course to everyone else makin' points for us! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment